Thursday 12 April 2012

DIY

I've wanted to try bleaching clothes for ages and when I got a hole in a pair of old leggings I thought 'what a great opportunity to hack away at them and throw on some bleach'. It turned out to be the easiest DIY I've ever done so there's no excuse for you to not try it too. 

You will need:
  •  Leggings
  • Scissors  
  • Bucket
  • Water
  • Bleach
  • Squirty bottle thing


Take your old pair of leggings and lay them out flat and decide the length you want them to be, I wanted mine to be about the same length as a pair of cycling shorts. Fold your leggings in half and cut across in a straight line.
 



Wet the area of the leggings that you want to bleach and squeeze the excess water out. Then add water to the bucket and bleach. About 4 cups water to 2 cups bleach.
 


Dip your leggings into the water up to the point where you dampened them earlier. Use something like a hair clip or a clothes peg to secure the leggings on the side of the bucket. 


After about half an hour they will begin to change colour, the colour they turn all depends on the original colour of your leggings. As mine are grey they first turned a deep red and then a light pink the longer they stayed in the bleach. I left mine in the bucket over night. 


I wanted to add a splattered effect up the legs of the leggings instead of just having a straight line. So i took an old squirty bottle (technical term I have you know) and filled it with neat bleach, You could add a little water to it if you don't the splatters to come out too light.


I spritzed the leggings like so and left them to develop until I was happy with how they looked. Once you are happy with them, take them out and give them a good rinse before popping them in the washing machine. Do put them in on their own otherwise if there is any bleach left in them you might end up bleaching everything else that's in the wash.


Once dry they should look something like this! I was going to add some lace round the bottom but couldn't find any so that's something to add to my shopping list. Though I quite like them like this too. Just need some nice weather now. 

Hope you enjoyed this and if you have a go do let me know as I'd love to see your DIY's. 

I'll post an outfit with these soon, but until then here's something to listen to whilst you're bleaching away. 


xx

3 comments:

  1. really cool diy idea!
    gonna try this myself sooner or later ;)

    Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You deffo should, it's so easy and fun to do! x

      Delete
  2. Wow! Superb! never been a crafty person but love the fact that you can do it yourself. Also loving the outcome! Looks really cool!

    http://www.friendlyfashion.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and I'll be sure to reply, keep checking back! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...